WASHINGTON — Today, the DLCC is launching its Threats to Democracy website, a database that features a list of Republican candidates and lawmakers who have spread dangerous election conspiracies, attempted to overturn the 2020 presidential election, or have otherwise threatened our democracy. The DLCC identified at least 28 Republican candidates for Michigan’s state legislature on the ballot in the November midterms who fit that criteria. Nationally, the committee has found at least 1,007 Republican state legislators and candidates are complicit in the ongoing attacks on our democracy. Michigan is a crucial state for the path to the presidency. Michiganders can’t trust MAGA Republicans to protect their sacred right to vote.
“Make no mistake, state legislatures are on the front lines of the battle to protect fair and free elections,” said DLCC executive director Heather Williams. “Michigan election deniers and MAGA candidates want to control their state legislature so they can override voters and decide the outcome of future elections. The surest way to protect democracy and beat back the MAGA movement in 2022 is to elect Democrats in Michigan and to statehouses all across the country.”
Here are just a few examples from Michigan:
- Diane Saber (HD-12) attended the January 6th insurrection in Washington, DC, claimed Democrats and RINOs set up January 6th to make President Trump look bad, and continues to use her campaign’s social media to share election conspiracy theories.
- Angela Rigas (HD-79) attended the January 6th insurrection in Washington, DC and called it a “highlight of my life.” She also said she is proud to be called an insurrectionist and is endorsed by former President Donald Trump who has praised her efforts to expose voter fraud.
- Norm Shinkle (HD-73) was the sole member of the state board of canvassers who refused to certify the 2020 election results.
- Mike Aiello (HD-61) is a supporter of former gubernatorial candidate Ryan Kelly (who was arrested for his role in January 6th) and has used his social media accounts to spread false conspiracy theories about rigged voting machines and illegal ballots.
- Trump has also endorsed insurrectionist Representative Matt Maddock (HD-51) both for office and to lead the GOP caucus after the election. Maddock’s wife Meshawn Maddock was also in DC on January 6th and is currently serving as co-chair of the Michigan GOP; both Maddocks were involved with the state’s false elector scheme, as was Michele Lundgren (HD-9), who was slated to be a false elector and has been questioned by the FBI.
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee was the first and only entity committed to identifying, tracking, and condemning the hundreds of Republican state lawmakers who aided and abetted Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election. Its current Threats to Democracy website holds the most comprehensive account of state legislators and state legislative candidates complicit in the ongoing attack on our democracy. With more than 7,300 state legislative seats, the research for this project is ongoing, and the list continues to grow. The DLCC research team is actively soliciting tips for additional information at [email protected].