WASHINGTON — With less than three weeks until Election Day, the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is announcing its slate of Spotlight candidates in Democratic strongholds in the Northeast, including Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Vermont. With Democratic majorities, legislators in these states have been able to protect reproductive rights, raise the minimum wage, expand voting rights, and pass LGBTQ+ anti-discrimination laws.
“When Democrats win power, we have a proven track record of working for a brighter future for all Americans,” said DLCC President Jessica Post. “Our incredible Democratic legislators have stood for equality, expanded rights, and protected their communities during the coronavirus pandemic. I know this impressive slate of candidates will continue to work to move their states forward and fight for their communities.”
Under the leadership of DLCC Board Chair and Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins, New York Democrats solidified a Democratic trifecta in 2018 and are poised to make further gains this year. Democrats are within striking distance of new supermajorities in New York, Delaware, and Connecticut. Expanding Democratic majorities in states is more important than ever as a last line of defense against a conservative Supreme Court looking to rollback vital rights and protections.
Here are the Spotlight candidates who will fight for their constituents in these states:
- Connecticut: Aimee Berger-Girvalo (HD-111), Stephanie Thomas (HD-143) Rick Lopes (SD-6), Jorge Cabrera (SD-17), Martha Marx (SD-20)
- Delaware: Sarah McBride (SD-1), Kyle Evans Gay (SD-5)
- Maine: Kyle Bailey (HD-27), Deborah Emery (HD-76), Glenn Curry (SD-11), Stacy Brenner (SD-30), Joe Rafferty (SD-34)
- Massachusetts: Amber Hewett (HD First Essex), Meg Wheeler (SD Plymouth & Norfolk)
- New Hampshire: Diane Hanley (HD Belknap 2), Sue Mullen (HD Hillsborough 7), Liz McConnell (HD Rockingham 11), Ed Rajsteter (HD Grafton 15), Nikki Fordey (HD Hillsborough 20), Sue Ford (SD-1), Bill Bolton (SD-2), Jenn Alford-Teaster (SD-8), Shannon Chandley (SD-11), Melanie Levesque (SD-12), Jon Morgan (SD-23)
- New Jersey: Rupande Mehta (LD-25 Senate), Darcy Draeger (LD-25 Assembly)
- New York: Michael Marcantonio (AD-12), Gregory Marks (AD-20), Alex Hammond (AD-116), Michelle Hinchey (SD-46), John Mannion (SD -50), Samra Brouk (SD-55), Jeremy Cooney (SD-56)
- Vermont: Kesha Ram (SD Chittenden)
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is the official Democratic organization dedicated to winning state legislative seats. Earlier this year, the DLCC announced its $50 million “Flip Everything” campaign, an unprecedented effort to win legislative majorities across the country. Since Donald Trump’s election, the DLCC and state partners have flipped more than 450 seats and 10 chambers from red to blue.