WASHINGTON — Earlier this afternoon, DLCC President Heather Williams and Democratic House candidate Jim Prokopiak hosted a virtual press conference ahead of a must-win special election on February 13th that will shape the Pennsylvania House majority.
Maintaining the Democratic majority would provide a vital check on the rampant extremism of the Republican Senate majority and ensure fundamental freedoms like abortion access are protected. On the heels of last week’s $50,000 investment to the Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus, the DLCC is all hands on deck to ensure Jim Prokopiak emerges victorious.
To watch a full recording of the Zoom press conference, click here.
DLCC President Heather Williams:
- “The stakes of Tuesday’s election truly couldn’t be higher. We know the future of abortion access and fundamental rights in Pennsylvania are on the line.”
- “If [Republicans] win the majority, they’ll have free reign to pursue their toxic crusade, legislating away the rights that Pennsylvanians hold near and dear. We’ve seen Republicans across the country pursue a similar agenda, and Pennsylvania Republicans will be no exception if there’s no check on their power.”
- “As a father of three, including twin fourteen-year-old girls, I think about their future, and the right to control their own bodies. Pennsylvania Republicans have made it their mission to destroy reproductive health care rights in the state and they’ve come pretty close. If Republicans regain control of the statehouse, they will immediately try again. My opponent likes to try and downplay the issue, as a matter of fact, she refuses to even state her stance on the issue. But make no mistake, we’ve seen the Republican House in action and it’s a guarantee my opponent would be the deciding vote to pass an abortion ban here in Pennsylvania.”
- “This is a majority-making election – whoever wins this seat will determine the direction of Pennsylvania’s future.”
- “If Republicans are able to regain control, we’ll see the full MAGA agenda at work in the House… Women’s rights, voting rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and the right to collectively bargain, will all be at risk. If Democrats regain control… they’ll be able to push forward a pro-workers, pro-families, pro-woman, pro-education agenda.”
- “This race isn’t just about me; it’s about the future of Pennsylvania.”
- “I’m really grateful for the support of the DLCC in this race. They know how much is at stake in this election. Not just the House majority, but the rights of every Pennsylvanian. From the financial investments they made in my race to the expertise they’ve helped my staff with, the DLCC has stood by my race every step of the way to make sure we maintain the House majority and deliver Governor Shapiro the support he needs to push Pennsylvania forward, not backward. I couldn’t thank the DLCC more for their support.”
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the official Democratic Party committee dedicated to winning America’s state legislatures and building state infrastructure. Over the last decade, we have fought cycle-over-cycle to gain a dozen new legislative chamber majorities and we are leading the effort to bring national attention and investment to our ballot level. State legislatures are the building blocks of our democracy and have the closest connections to Americans’ day-to-day lives. From protecting fundamental freedoms and voting rights to growing the middle class, the DLCC and state legislators are moving the Democratic agenda forward and shaping the future of this country.