WASHINGTON – This week, DLCC President Heather Williams joined Dean Obeidallah on “The Dean Obeidallah Show ” on SiriusXM to highlight how state legislatures are on the frontlines of protecting fundamental freedoms. She shared the DLCC’s plans to defend Democratic majorities, flip chambers, and build long-term Democratic power across the states in 2024. With unprecedented momentum fueled by impressive victories from 2022 and 2023, 2024 will be the most important year in state legislative campaign history.
Simply put, 2024 is the year of the states.
To watch the full video, click here.
From Heather Williams on SiriusXM:
- “The states have never been more important…Of course, we love a federal solution that ensures that everyone is protected, but until we get there, we need to continue making progress in the states.“
- “The impact that we’re seeing in states is greater than any one member of Congress. The kinds of work they’re able to do – in Michigan, they were able to tackle gun laws, abortion laws, right to work, and making Michigan a stronger place for workers. It’s so incredibly rewarding.”
- “The contrast between how Democrats are governing, how they’re looking out for their communities, and really trying to expand our rights, and you look at Republicans, and they’re having conversations about whether or not we should be able to read books. The contrast is wild, and we need to get more people enthusiastic and energized about this ballot level.”
- “[T]hese candidates and these legislators – they still live in these districts. They are still very much a part of these communities. … [c]onversations are so important because it gives voters a place to put their concerns – they get to feel heard, they get to actually be heard, they can talk about their hopes, dreams, fears, challenges that we face. … [H]aving that kind of dialogue is so important. This ballot level really allows for that kind of conversation. We know that there’s going to be all kinds of talk about what’s happening at the presidential level and national issues, but these [state legislative] candidates will be out there having real conversations.”
- “Part of the work that we do when we think about what is happening in the states and how to build power is we’re looking not just at the election right in front of us, but what it means to make progress and build towards a pivotal moment.”
To book Heather Williams on future appearances to talk about the DLCC’s work, state legislatures on the frontlines of defending fundamental freedoms, or the DLCC’s battleground map in the “year of the states,” please contact the DLCC press team at [email protected].
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the official Democratic Party committee dedicated to winning America’s state legislatures and building state infrastructure. Over the last decade, we have fought cycle-over-cycle to gain a dozen new legislative chamber majorities and we are leading the effort to bring national attention and investment to our ballot level. State legislatures are the building blocks of our democracy and have the closest connections to Americans’ day-to-day lives. From protecting fundamental freedoms and voting rights to growing the middle class, the DLCC and state legislators are moving the Democratic agenda forward and shaping the future of this country.