WASHINGTON — The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is announcing five Nevada Spotlight candidates who have brought vital leadership to the legislature. These dynamic leaders have proven that they are fighters for their communities and will build on all the progress they have already made in the legislature.
“We are so proud to spotlight these candidates as they fight to continue the incredible Democratic progress made in the Battle Born State,” said DLCC President Jessica Post. “While Republican candidates become more extreme, Democrats are passing vital legislation for hard-working Nevada families. Whether it’s investing in quality education, making Nevada a leader in clean and renewable energy, or providing access to affordable health care, Democrats are building a bright future for all Nevadans.”
The following Spotlight candidates have outstanding records of service to their communities and are valuable assets to the Nevada legislature:
- Sandra Jauregui (AD-41): Assemblywoman Sandra Jauregui moved to Las Vegas in 2009, where she received her bachelor’s degree in History from UNLV. In college, she worked for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, where she directly served her community and helped Nevadans across the state secure affordable housing. Sandra has proven throughout her career that she will fight for working-class Nevadans and their families.
- Michelle Gorelow (AD-35): Michelle Gorelow’s passion for helping families gain access to health care drove her to the Nevada Assembly. Since taking office in 2019, Michelle has lived up to that commitment through her work to end surprise billing, establish a maternal mortality review committee, and ensure people with pre-existing conditions have access to affordable health insurance.
- Shea Backus (AD-37): A third-generation Nevadan, Assemblywoman Shea Backus understands that “Home Means Nevada.” As a lawyer, Shea provides pro-bono services to some of Nevada’s most vulnerable residents – abused and neglected children. As an assemblywoman, Shea has worked hard to ensure that Nevadans can get a quality education, benefit from the economic growth of clean jobs, and have access to affordable health care.
- Marilyn Dondero Loop (SD-8): Senator Marilyn Dondero Loop is a proud product of Nevada public schools and spent 30 years as an educator bringing high-quality education to her community. In the legislature, Marilyn helped secure the largest education budget in the state’s history. Marilyn will continue fighting for quality education, public safety, affordable health care, and stable jobs for all Nevadans.
- Melanie Scheible (SD-9): A prosecutor in the Clark County District Attorney’s office and member of the LGBTQ+ community, Senator Melanie Scheible brings valuable experience and representation to Nevada’s state legislature. Born and raised in Nevada, Melanie is devoted to giving back to the community that raised her by ensuring future generations have access to quality education, health care, and good-paying jobs.