WASHINGTON — Today, New Hampshire Republicans’ wishlist of dangerous priorities guided a series of votes on the House floor – with several bills introduced that attack fundamental freedoms in the Granite State. Breaking up the Republican trifecta in 2024 is essential to stop this onslaught of MAGA priorities from becoming law.
Here’s a recap:
- Republicans continued their crusade against abortion access by pushing both a 15-day and 15-week abortion ban. Though both abortion bans were blocked today, Republicans could reintroduce these dangerous proposals next year. The 15-day ban would effectively outlaw abortion entirely in New Hampshire, making it one of the most extreme proposals in the country.
- Reminder: Granite State Republicans already used their trifecta to push an abortion ban into law three years ago, and now they’re taking their extremism to new heights.
- Republicans also tanked a proposal to guarantee the right to abortion in New Hampshire through a constitutional amendment. This came even as Rep. Amanda Elizabeth Toll stood with baby in hand, 1 week postpartum, fighting to enshrine abortion rights.
- Republicans voted yet again to pass anti-trans legislation that opens the door for discrimination and segregation of LGBTQ+ people in schools and public settings. This bill undermines the right to equal protection under the law for LGBTQ+ communities.
- In another wacky, extreme push, Republicans also presented a resolution to propose a constitutional amendment to allow New Hampshire to secede from the union and become a sovereign nation. Though this was indefinitely postponed, it should’ve never seen the light of day in the legislature.
A reminder: Republicans have a trifecta in New Hampshire – control of the House, Senate, and governor’s office… and all three are on the ballot in 2024.
Republicans’ onslaught of dangerous and absurd proposals today illustrates the stark consequences of the Republican trifecta, which is why New Hampshire is among the DLCC’s top priorities in 2024 as we target both chambers of the legislature. Electing Democrats to the state legislature across the country is the only defense to protect against outrageous attacks on abortion, LGBTQ+ rights, and fundamental freedoms.
Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee National Press Secretary Sam Paisley issued the following statement:
“From a 15-day abortion ban to anti-trans legislation to a proposal to secede from the U.S., Granite State Republican extremism was on full display today. Today’s wishlist of fringe Republican ideas represents unconscionable attacks on fundamental freedoms. Every Republican who voted in favor of today’s extreme proposals voted to legislate New Hampshire backward, and they must be held accountable in November.
“Targeting both chambers in New Hampshire and breaking the GOP trifecta is a top priority for the DLCC in November. The only way to stop these dangerous proposals in their tracks is to elect more Democrats. The DLCC is laser-focused on breaking this trifecta because everything is on the line.”
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the official Democratic Party committee dedicated to winning America’s state legislatures and building state infrastructure. Over the last decade, we have fought cycle-over-cycle to gain a dozen new legislative chamber majorities and we are leading the effort to bring national attention and investment to our ballot level. State legislatures are the building blocks of our democracy and have the closest connections to Americans’ day-to-day lives. From protecting fundamental freedoms and voting rights to growing the middle class, the DLCC and state legislators are moving the Democratic agenda forward and shaping the future of this country.