March 9, 2018
DLCC Communications Director
WASHINGTON — Since the 2016 election, the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) has flipped 39 legislative seats from Republican to Democratic control and has a strategy in place to continue building winning momentum in states. Today, DLCC Executive Director Jessica Post announced the committee is highlighting three additional races on its Spotlight Races page. These “Democrats to know” are running in critical special elections in battleground states like Pennsylvania, Florida, and New York.
“It’s already been an exciting and record-setting year for Democrats stepping up to run for their state legislatures,” said Post. “Since President Trump was elected, the DLCC and state Democrats have flipped 39 seats from red to blue, elected strong candidates from all walks of life, and flipped an entire chamber to Democratic control. Our Spotlight Races page has brought national attention to Democrats running in critical state races nationwide.
“We are proud of Shelley Mayer, Javier Fernandez, Helen Tai, and all of our other candidates who have stepped up to run and make a difference in their communities as we work to bring back the values Democrats fight for every day to our state legislatures – from standing up for working families, to making health care affordable and accessible, to protecting human rights and fighting for equality, to investing in the next generation through strengthening our public education in America. The DLCC is fired up and ready to win more seats throughout the year and in November.”
- Assemblywoman Shelley Mayer, New York SD-37
- ELECTION: April 24, 2018
- Shelley has fought for progress for Westchester residents, previously as a lawyer, Assistant Attorney General, and now in the state Assembly. She has a record of securing funding for schools, cleaning up corruption, and addressing the threat of climate change – and now she’s ready to take that agenda to the Senate in April. Putting Shelley in the New York Senate is critical to winning back the chamber and enacting the forward-looking policies New Yorkers want.
- Javier Fernandez, Florida HD-114
- ELECTION: May 1, 2018
- Throughout his career in both the private and public sectors, Javier has worked to give back to his community. Javier is a first-time candidate and practicing attorney committed to reducing income inequality, supporting public schools, and addressing the threat of climate change.
- Helen Tai, Pennsylvania HD-178
- ELECTION: May 15, 2018
- A devoted local elected official and the founder of two small businesses, Helen has spent years working alongside her neighbors to make Solebury a great place to live and raise a family. Helen is running to flip this key swing district in a state locked in a fierce redistricting battle.