We made it to the end of the week! Now say it with us, T.G.I.S.O.T.S. Thank God It’s State of the States! The DLCC is here to help you catch up on the state legislative stories you might have missed. It’s April 21st; ease into the weekend with a roundup of state stories from across the country.
For questions and suggestions, e-mail us.
- April is Medicaid Awareness Month, and the DLCC is spotlighting how Republicans’ continued attacks on abortion and health care access are putting Americans at risk — and especially harming mothers and families. Republicans’ obsession with rolling back abortion rights in the states has led to even fewer resources for maternal health care across the country — forcing maternity wards to close and forcing patients to drive for miles or go without care, which hurts pregnant women of color the most.
- Florida Republicans are continuing their attacks on the LGBTQ+ community as they work to expand their “Don’t Say Gay” law through all grades. The state House is also pushing a slate of dangerous bills that range from restricting gender-affirming care to bathroom bills. These laws are discriminatory, bad for business, and do nothing to address the issues facing the Sunshine State.
- The Montana Freedom Caucus is calling for Rep. Zooey Zephyr to be censured for saying that Republicans will have blood on their hands if they voted for a deeply dangerous anti-trans bill. The Freedom Caucus’s release and tweet callously misgendered Rep. Zephyr. We’ve seen Republicans resort to power grabs to silence Democrats criticizing their dangerous agenda in Tennessee and Oklahoma, and it’s setting a dangerous precedent.
- Arizona students across the state held a walkout for the second year in a row to protest Republican legislation that discriminates against LGBTQ+ youth. Yet, Republicans continue to focus on restricting personal freedom instead of the pressing issues facing their state.
- North Carolina Republicans are clearly doing the important work of the people and have introduced vital legislation to… wait a minute… no that can’t be right… ban participation trophies? Sadly for the North Carolina GOP, there is no trophy for Biggest Waste of Time.
- Colorado Democrats passed a trio of health care bills last week that will enshrine access to abortion and gender-affirming care. State Democrats are committed to protecting the rights Republicans are working to rip away.
- Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed a package of gun safety reforms into law. Unlike GOP-led states, Democrats are taking action to protect their communities in the wake of a horrific shooting in their community. This progress was made possible because Democrats took full control of the legislatures in the fall, one of the DLCC’s strategic priorities.
- Oregon Democrats are keeping their campaign promises to their constituents – helping businesses and adding jobs across the state. They passed an important piece of legislation called the Oregon CHIPS Act, which will give Oregon innovators and businesses better access to billions of dollars provided under the federal CHIPS Act to grow domestic semiconductor manufacturing. Democrats across the country are championing legislation bolstering their state’s economy and working to cut costs.