We made it to the end of the week! Now say it with us, T.G.I.S.O.T.S. Thank God It’s State of the States! The DLCC is here to help you catch up on the state legislative stories you might have missed. It’s March 24th; ease into the weekend with a roundup of state stories from across the country.
For questions and suggestions, e-mail us.
- As Republicans in this new Congress undermine any efforts to address America’s gun violence epidemic, state Democrats are getting the job done and working to keep their communities safe. Michigan Democrats, in the wake of a horrific tragedy in their state, are fulfilling their campaign promise to pass common sense gun safety reform. Republican-led legislatures, on the other hand, have refused to take action to keep their communities safe.
- In the New Hampshire House, Democrats are leading the charge to codify abortion protections and repeal the penalties that exist in the Republican Fetal Life Protection Act. Democrats are taking every opportunity to fight for reproductive freedom in the face of the House’s slim margin, which for many votes, is coming down to attendance. If we can flip the chamber this year, we can put a stop to this Republican extremism.
- Republican attacks on reproductive health continue, with Wyoming Republicans banning abortion pills. The GOP’s anti-abortion agenda has dangerous consequences – a hospital in Idaho will be forced to stop delivering babies and other obstetrics services because doctors are leaving the state due to the GOP’s six-week abortion ban that criminalizes doctors.
- This week, the Republican-led Georgia legislature passed a horrific anti-trans bill banning most gender-affirming care for minors. Yet again, the Republican Party is proving that they would rather ramp up their attacks on trans youth than do anything to protect our communities, cut costs, and improve families’ lives.
- Georgia Republicans aren’t the only ones who have put attacking the LGBTQ+ community at the top of their to do list. The Nebraska GOP is risking their entire legislative session this year working to ban gender-affirming care for Nebraskans under 19. Democrats are the only thing standing in the way of this hateful legislation. Democratic state Sen. Machaela Cavanaugh is the first lawmaker to filibuster every bill introduced on the floor, stating: “I will burn this session to the ground over this bill.” Sen. Cavanaugh and her colleagues have vowed to continue to filibuster all session.
- This week, the Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down some of the language in the GOP abortion ban that passed last year. It’s no surprise that Republicans oppose the majority opinion which states that there is a right to terminate a pregnancy if the life of the mother is at risk at any point, not just in a medical emergency. There are no limits to how far Republicans will go to restrict abortion rights, and it is more clear than ever that reproductive freedom is seriously under attack.
- USA Today’s Women of the Year series highlighted Minnesota Rep. Leigh Finke this week, who has been a relentless fighter for underrepresented communities. Rep. Finke was the first transgender legislator elected to the Minnesota Legislature and continues to advocate for Minnesotans across the state. Read more about her here!
- Minnesota DLFers didn’t skip a beat earlier this year to become the first legislature post-Dobbs to enshrine the right to an abortion into state law – and they haven’t stopped there. On Monday, the DFL-led Minnesota House passed a bill providing legal protections to patients who travel to the state for an abortion and the providers that help them. Minnesota DFLers are proving to the country that state Democrats keep their promises.