WASHINGTON — As the first Wisconsin voters cast their general election ballots, the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee announced 15 new Spotlight races in the state. Democrats are poised to block a Republican supermajority in both chambers to protect Governor Tony Evers’ veto power. This is especially critical to fight Wisconsin’s notoriously gerrymandered maps and to stop the GOP’s malicious agenda.
“With redistricting on the line, it is more important than ever to protect the legislature from a GOP supermajority,” said Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee President Jessica Post. “Republicans have rigged the maps to maintain control over a state that clearly wants to vote them out. We are proud to fight alongside our incredible slate of Spotlight candidates and legislators to put the power back in the hands of the voters.”
Meet the candidates and legislators who will help Democrats keep Republicans out of a supermajority in the Wisconsin legislature:
- Neal Plotkin (SD-08), a small business owner and son of first-generation Americans who will fight to make Wisconsin the best place to live, work, and raise a family.
- Senator Patty Schachtner (SD-10), the chief medical examiner for St. Croix County who is working on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic and mental health crisis.
- Paul Piotrowski (SD-24), a lifelong Wisconsinite, US Navy veteran, and retired police officer who knows how to fight for the issues impacting families every single day.
- Jonathon Hansen (SD-30), a De Pere City Councilmember who is committed to fighting for economic development, restored civility, and fair legislative maps.
- Brad Pfaff (SD-32), a two-term member of the La Crosse County Board of Supervisors who also recently led the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Relations.
- Sara Rodriguez (AD-13), a registered nurse and health care executive who will bring her over 20 years of experience in medicine to Madison.
- Representative Robyn Vining (AD-14), a renowned community activist and small business owner who is fighting for fair district maps, affordable health care, and good governance in the legislature.
- Erik Brooks (AD-21), the mayor of South Milwaukee and a small business owner who wants to address the big issues facing Wisconsin head-on.
- Deb Andraca (AD-23), a teacher, community volunteer, and advocate for commonsense gun reforms who will work to build a safer, smarter, and healthier Wisconsin for all.
- Emily Siegrist (AD-24), a former National Guard soldier, nurse practitioner, and teacher who believes Wisconsinites deserve affordable health care and a robust economy with living-wage jobs.
- Kriss Marion (AD-51), who will use her experience as a farmer, small business owner, and community leader to get things done in the legislature.
- Representative Nick Milroy (AD-73), a Navy veteran and Wisconsin Wildlife Federation’s Legislator of the Year who serves as the only scientist in the Wisconsin Assembly.
- Representative Beth Meyers (AD-74), the Wisconsin-born Democratic Caucus secretary who works tirelessly to create jobs, overhaul the state’s transportation infrastructure, and protect seniors.
- Dr. Kristin Lyerly (AD-88), an obstetrician/gynecologist who is ready to bring responsive and responsible leadership to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic and put health care front and center.
- Representative Steve Doyle (AD-94), a lifelong La Crosse County resident, educator, and law firm founder who has a proven legislative record of delivering progress for his community.
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is the official Democratic organization dedicated to winning state legislative seats. Earlier this year, the DLCC unveiled its unprecedented $50 million campaign to “Flip Everything” this November. Since Trump’s election, the DLCC and state partners have flipped over 450 seats and 10 chambers from red to blue.