WASHINGTON – Following a historic midterm year where the DLCC flipped four chambers red-to-blue and defended all of its Democratic majorities, the committee’s first 100 days of the 2023-24 cycle have been filled with electoral and legislative successes made possible by strategic DLCC investments and the hard work of state Democrats. Between enshrining abortion access, preserving our democracy, and holding MAGA extremists accountable, the DLCC’s electoral successes have paved the way for transformative change. We have already netted 14 special election wins this year – including one crucial red to blue flip in the Virginia Senate – all building towards our Path to the Majority strategy to win back America’s state legislatures.
“In the first 100 days of this cycle, voters are experiencing firsthand how the DLCC’s historic victories have paved the way for legislation that makes the difference in their day-to-day lives,” said interim DLCC President Heather Williams. “As the Republican Party continues to pursue their MAGA agenda, our newly-elected Democratic legislatures are enshrining fundamental freedoms, cutting costs for working families, and preserving our democracy. This is only the beginning, and the DLCC is committed to building Democratic power across the map to get things done for millions of Americans and stop MAGA Republicans from sabotaging our country — and we have a plan to get it done.”
From massive legislative victories thanks to our historic wins, to over performing in special elections, the momentum is on the DLCC’s side this year. Here’s an overview of the first 100 days of the cycle:
- The DLCC has won 14 special elections so far this year, including in Virginia SD-7, securing the first flip of 2023.
- We’ve picked up one seat and have at least two more special elections coming in the New Hampshire House, where we are only 4 seats away from flipping the chamber.
- Thanks to our 2022 victories, more people – 40% of the US population – are now living in states under Democratic trifecta control than Republican trifecta control for the first time in over a decade.
- While our newly-elected Democratic-led chambers make transformative progress in their states, the GOP is dragging our country backward. State Republicans have introduced over 450 anti-LGBTQ+ bills in this year alone and over 350 anti-voting bills have been introduced in GOP-controlled chambers.
- Meanwhile, Michigan Democrats have passed multiple gun safety bills, repealed the state’s 1931 abortion ban, added protections for sexual orientation and gender identity to the ELCR, and repealed right to work – the first state to do so in 58 years.
- In Minnesota, DFLers passed protections for abortion access, restored voting rights to over 50,000 Minnesotans on probation and parole, made the state a refuge for people seeking gender-affirming care, and are moving full-speed ahead to pass paid leave and mandatory sick days.