WASHINGTON — In a new recording, Virginia gubernatorial nominee Glenn Youngkin revealed his hardline position against abortion, promising to go “on offense” if he wins and Republicans take control of the House of Delegates this November. While this position is extreme for Virginians, Youngkin is far from alone on the Republican ticket — Republican legislative challengers are hostile to reproductive freedom and threaten to restrict access if they win the majority this fall.
“Glenn Youngkin just revealed Republicans’ priority if they take control of the House of Delegates: they’re coming after reproductive freedom, ” said Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee President Jessica Post. “Virginia Democrats are prepared to fight back and protect their constituents’ right to choose, which is all the more reason to make sure the GOP can’t win back the House of Delegates and turn back the clock on progress in the commonwealth.”
If given the chance, these right-wing Republican legislative challengers would work to attack Virginians’ reproductive freedom:
- Nick Clemente (HD-10) pledged to support legislation to defund Planned Parenthood and roll back funding for reproductive health.
- Christopher Stone (HD-13) supports an abortion ban at 20 weeks and clarified that he opposes abortion “at any time.”
- Steve Pleickhardt (HD-50) believes that abortion should only be allowed to protect the life of the parent, not in cases of rape or incest, and supports banning abortions at 20 weeks.
- Tim Cox (HD-51) wants to ban abortion from the moment of conception, threatening common forms of birth control, and doesn’t believe in exceptions for rape or incest. He also compared abortion to slavery.
- Mike Cherry (HD-66) pledged to push legislation to defund Planned Parenthood and roll back funding for reproductive health.
- Mark Early Jr. (HD-68) believes that human life begins at conception and deserves legal protection at every stage. He refused to say whether he believes abortion should be allowed in any circumstance.
- Mike Dillender (HD-76) pledged to support legislation to defund Planned Parenthood and roll back funding for reproductive health.
- Tim Anderson (HD-83) said that human life begins at conception and deserves legal protection at every stage. When asked under what circumstances abortion should be allowed, he responded “N/A.”