We made it to the end of the week! Now say it with us, T.G.I.S.O.T.S. Thank God It’s State of the States! The DLCC is here to help you catch up on the state legislative stories you might have missed. It’s May 26th; ease into the weekend with a roundup of state stories from across the country.
For questions and suggestions, e-mail us.
- (Former Florida House Rep.) Governor Ron DeSantis tried and failed to launch his campaign on Twitter Spaces this week. Did we expect anything less from the Florida governor who, along with the Republican-led legislature, has banned abortion and undermined LGBTQ+ rights? Gov. DeSantis might not know how to use Twitter, but he wouldn’t hesitate to ban abortion if given the chance. No matter who Republicans choose to run for president, the DLCC is standing ready to win majorities in the states so we can defend our fundamental freedoms.
- South Carolina Republicans are banning most abortions as early as six weeks – before many people even know they are pregnant. Despite an overwhelming majority of Americans supporting abortion access, the Republican Party is doubling down on ripping reproductive rights away. Our fundamental freedoms will be won or lost in state legislatures, and the DLCC is leading the charge to protect and expand Democratic power in every corner of the country.
- The new Democratic trifecta in Minnesota is making history and showing the country that Democrats are fighting to lift up Americans’ livelihoods – wrapping up with a $72 billion state budget. House Speaker Melissa Hortman called the slate of legislation “transformational and historic,” as they fulfill nearly every aspect of the DFL platform, from abortion rights to labor rights to the environment to gun reform. Once again, state Democrats are keeping promises and helping American families.
- Oregon Republican Senators are standing in the way of the state passing crucial policies, including protecting abortion access and gender-affirming care. For three weeks and counting, they have been abandoning their jobs and boycotting the legislative session. Republicans’ temper tantrum will not stop Oregon Democrats from fighting to pass these life-changing policies for the state.
- In the dead of night, Texas House Republicans passed a bill defunding public education – slashing teacher pay raises and the special education budget. You know what they say, all of the best policies are passed at 1am. Democrats are working to fund schools with the resources they need to provide a quality education for our children, while Republicans are leaving schools in the dust to fend for themselves.
- The Republican Party isn’t just tearing up abortion access and public education, they also have their eyes set on destroying democracy. Arizona Senate Majority Leader Sonny Borrelli penned a letter advocating for a ban on voting machines after Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs vetoed the GOP-backed bill prohibiting them. The only way to preserve our most sacred institutions is to elect Democrats to state legislatures across the country.
- Michigan Democrats have charged forward passing common sense gun safety reform, signing into law a series of “red flag” laws that will protect Michiganders and prove that Democrats are keeping their campaign promises. While Republicans do nothing in the face of rising gun violence, Democrats are doing everything they can to protect our communities and make Americans safer.
- Democrats in Illinois are pushing groundbreaking legislation that will protect those seeking abortions in Illinois from being tracked by out-of-state police. As Republicans continue to attack reproductive freedom across the country, it’s more important than ever to create safe havens for Americans seeking their fundamental rights. This law will set an important precedent for Democratic legislatures across the country as we defend abortion rights and hold Republican extremism at bay.
- Nevada Democrats are also working to strengthen abortion rights in the Battle Born State by increasing protections for in-state abortion providers and out-of-state patients. This legislation faces a Republican governor’s signature, but would be vital for defending reproductive freedom in the West. We are so proud of everything state Democrats are doing in the face of rising attacks on our fundamental rights.