WASHINGTON — Two years after the January 6th insurrection, the DLCC defeated insurrectionists and election deniers at the ballot box in November — but MAGA extremists remain an existential threat to our democracy. Despite voters soundly rejecting radical Republicans during the midterm, the GOP is still working to undermine the foundations of our democracy. Between the upcoming Supreme Court decision that will decide whether Republican-led legislatures can unilaterally assign electoral votes and Trump loyalists being sworn into office across the country, Democrats must continue to fight to defend our institutions.
“January 6th was one of the most shameful days in American history and two years later, MAGA extremism within the GOP’s ranks has only grown,” said DLCC President Jessica Post. “While voters rejected insurrectionists and election deniers in the midterm election, the threat to our democracy remains. Our victories from the 2022 cycle will help safeguard our elections, but we cannot take our democracy for granted. Republicans are already working to sabotage future elections, overturn the will of the people, and we must remain vigilant.”
- The DLCC was the first and only organization tracking insurrectionists and election deniers at the state legislative level.
- For every federal candidate receiving attention in the news for undermining our democracy, there are a dozen more who have served in or who have campaigned for statehouses around the country.
- Since January 6th, 2021, the DLCC has identified 54 state legislators and candidates who traveled to Washington, DC on the day of the insurrection, including some who have resigned or even been arrested for their actions that day.
- Building on prior victories, we sent 13 more insurrectionists packing in the 2022 midterms including candidates in key races in New Hampshire, North Carolina and Wisconsin.
- In the year ahead, at least 17 insurrectionists will be serving in state legislatures, including four in Virginia who voters will have a chance to hold accountable this November.
- Alongside victories in individual races, the DLCC also defended every Democratic majority this year and gained four new majorities in Minnesota, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Heading into 2024, Democrats now control at least one chamber in states controlling nearly 270 electoral votes which will help protect the path to the presidency from future GOP plots.
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee was the first and only entity committed to identifying, tracking, and condemning the hundreds of Republican state lawmakers who aided and abetted Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election. Its Threats to Democracy website is the most comprehensive account of state legislators and state legislative candidates who continue to normalize anti-democratic extremism and are complicit in the ongoing attack on our democracy.